Sunday, June 15, 2008

We don't believe it

I've been watching the latest BBC Earth series, the last episode of which was essentially a wrap up of the previous episodes with the introduction of Rare Earth Theory. The series concluded by looking at how the Earth has responded to various catastrophic events throughout its existence with the conclusion that the Earth can take care of itself, and what we have to do is save us from ourselves. I know that this is entirely obvious, but sometimes when things are explicitly spelled out, they hit a little bit harder. The other thing I always think about when I watch things about the geological, astronomical, and biological history of the Earth is the existence of a god or gods. And when I got to my computer now, just after the final moments of this series, I was greeted with this new comic:

1 comment:

Mel said...

We have that series on our Netflix queue - looking forward to seeing it. As for god(s), I'm with the existentialists. The why of it doesn't really matter so much as the fact that we *are* here and should do the best we can with the time we've got.