Saturday, November 10, 2007

Starring what's her face and what's his name

Once again it has come time for my eMusic update. Last month I upgraded to the 75 downloads per month plan because I am horribly insatiable when it comes to music. So here, in the order I downloaded and have been listening to them, are my eMusic albums for November.

"What Are You On?" by East River Pipe: A one-man bedroom act who caught my interest a while ago wiith his song "Shiny Shiny Pimpmobile".

"Let's Get Out Of This Country" by Camera Obscura: Based out of Glasgow, this band caught my attention with the first single off of this album, "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken", just when I was recently heartbroken. It was backed with "I Can't Stay Mad At You" and to this point in my life I can't think of a more poignant pairing of single and b-side.

"LP" by Holy Fuck: Sometimes I read reviews and I go, "wow, I really would like that" which is what I did for this album. I knew that they had been opening for Wolf Parade recently, and when I was rocking out to this in my office yesterday I knew I had found a winner.

"The Fyling Club Cup" by Beirut: I wasn't blown away by the single from their last album, but when cmg says something is good, I generally believe them. They pulled through for me.

"Broom" by Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin: These guys were one of the first Daytrotter sessions that I heard, and when I saw that Greg was listening to them I decided that I should go download the album.

"Countless Times" by Diane Cluck: She appeared on a collaboration with Jeffrey Lewis way back when and blew me away with their song "The River". I still mostly think of JL when I think of anti-folk, but Diane is some kind of awesome. Listening to "My Teacher Died / Countless Times" was a wow moment.

"Let's Stay Friends" by Les Savy Fav: cokemachineglow needs to stop writing so well. They convince me more often than not. I don't know what to think of the music itself yet, but here's what cmg says: "This band is where idiosyncratic goes to fuck itself."

No comments: