Saturday, November 24, 2007

My vodka and snow is melting.

So I spent Thanksgiving down in Massachussetts on Cape Cod with my aunt Nancy and uncle Doug and Nancy's son David and his girlfriend Michelle and Michelle's daughter Emily and David and Michelle's daughter Bella. It was quite the adventure. Emily is 10 and and pretty awesome. Bella is 3 and quite awesome too, but she was pretty shy. I did manage to get her to play on my foosball team though, and we kicked Emily's butt. Before going, my parents warned me that they might not have a regular Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, stuffing, etc., but they did. The food was great. I shrugged off questions of "honeys/hunnies" at school from David, which is something I'm kind of getting sick of doing. Anyway, apparently the thing to do on Cape Cod after Thanksgiving dinner is to take a walk on the beach.

1122071620a.jpg
Set: Thanksgiving 2007


When David and crew left on Thursday night Doug said "Thank God" and even Nancy slumped against the door. And fittingly enough, I fell asleep that night listening to podcasts of the News from Lake Wobegon portion of A Prairie Home Companion. On Friday morning, I headed out at 9 to get back to Fiberphilia for the yarn sale of the year (seriously, the only one). I was sent on my way with a full plate of food and something close to a full pie. I figured it was about time to crack open the holiday music on the drive back, so I decided to break out my recent purchase of "Peace On Earth: A Holiday Album" featuring the likes of The Long Winters, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, and more. I would seriously recommend that you purchase this. It's only seven dollars and all proceeds go to Toys For Tots. Head over to hardtofindafriend.blogspot.com to get your copy.

I made it to the yarn store just before three in the afternoon, and ended up with 4 skeins of sport weight alpaca for a scarf, and 4 skeins of fingering weight merino in two different colorways for some socks. I also picked up another set of size 2 double points and my first set of size 0s and Nancy Bush's book "Knitting Vintage Socks" which has a high concentration of mens sock patterns. The first I plan on doing is the Gentleman's Sock with lozenge pattern. And they took my picture in my Koolhaas hat for their wall. And then getting back from that I had the cd that I ordered from The Dodos, "Beware the Maniacs" waiting for me. So all in all, it's been a pretty good weekend.

And of course I have pictures of my recent purchases for everyone. :-)

scarf-fodder: Blue-Sky Alpacas Melange
DSCN3581.JPG

soon to be Gentlemen's Socks with lozenge pattern: Claudia Hand Painted - Buckeye colorway
DSCN3588.JPG

and will be socks but I don't know what yet: Claudia Hand Painted - Jungle colorway
DSCN3598.JPG

And I finished my first gift sock for the holiday season. It's the Hiking Boot sock from "Knitting With Balls" modified with contrasting color heel and toe. I hope the recipient will enjoy it as least as much as I enjoyed making it.

DSCN3604.JPG

No comments: